вторник, 14 сентября 2010 г.

What is more important: friendship or duty?

First, I would like to comment on the story itself. As we can see, both men were at the appointed place on time. That means that no matter how many years have passed, they were still eager to see each other. However, the ties of their friendship were not as strong as they used to be and apparently the men kept in mind the image of each other from the times when they were young.  But honestly speaking, it seems to me that Bob who describes his friend as “the finest chap in the world” is more sincere than Jimmy. I think that one of the possible options why Jimmy arrested Bob could have been envy, the thought that he himself was not as successful as his friend turned out to be; this is typical of person’s  character. Then again, we don’t know for sure but he might have probably got promoted for arresting a wanted person. This supposition has occured to me when I reread the story: Bob told Jimmy that it was the appointment with a friend of him made twenty years ago and Jimmy’s only reply was: “Until five years ago it [Big Joe’ Brady’s restaurant] was turn down then”. And only then Bob struck the match to lit his cigar and Jimmy was able to see his face. I don’t think that people make such kind of appointments in that very place frequently. In this case Jimmy’s answer sounds rather indifferent even thought he must have guessed at once that the man was his friend.
Nevertheless, let it be a pure supposition, so what Jimmy did was a policeman’s duty. Than he is a very devoted policeman. As for me, I can’t imagine myself doing such a thing, arresting the best friend of mine. I mean that friendship is more important for me than duty. If I were Jimmy, I would have turned a blind eye on my friend’s dark past, I would have told him: “I  haven’t see you, you’ve got to escape as soon as possible...I’ll be missing you”. Friends are so close to us, very often they know much more about us than our parents do, they are a part of our soul. One have only to imagine him(her)self on their friend’s place...betrayed. What’s it like to be betrayed?? Well, it is one of the worst things ever. Not only you count on your friends in need – they do as well. My point of view may well be an example of Russian mentality. There is obviously a spirit of mutual help in our country, we find it difficult to leave someone in trouble. What is more, one researcher noted that in Russia moral values often prevail over the law.
Thus people don’t always realize that friendship is a great responsibility as well as one’s duty. So everyone has to make a personal decision about what is more important for them.

1 комментарий:

  1. YouTube Gaming - YouTube - Videoodl.cc
    Videoslots.com, YouTube Gaming, YouTube Gaming youtube to mp3 ringtone & Streamers - YouTube Gaming. Watch Videoslots channel live on desktop or mobile.

    ОтветитьУдалить